More and more people are surrendering the chore of backing up their files and instead having an online data backup and storage service do it. There are many advantages to backing up your data this way. We’ll consider some of them on this page. Losing important files or programs is one of the biggest nightmares of any computer user. It might be your photo collection, your business emails, or your medical history. Whatever it is, you don’t want to lose it. Which is why you should be backing up that data somewhere. In the old days, you had to do this yourself. That meant you saved the files on floppy disks, or a bit later, you burned them on CD Roms. Today though, you don’t have to handle this task yourself. Online data backup and storage services offer to do this for you, storing your files on their servers, ready for you if an emergency should ever strike.
Advantages Of Online Data Backup And Storage
Another name for these services is online vaulting or electronic vaulting. But why go online with your important data? There are many good reasons. Consider, for instance, the fact that a physical backup of your data is normally restricted to the location of the server. This means that a copy of your slide show might be backed up on your USB flash drive that you keep in your desk drawer, but it would be gone if a flood or fire hit. No such problem, though, with online backup services.
And so, the two big advantages to online storage are security and reliability.
- Security – An online backup program encrypts your files and keeps them encrypted as long as they stay on the file server. Contrast this to tape backups which are not secure, since anyone can read these if they find them.
- Reliability – Whereas a tape backup or even a flash drive will wear out after a period of time, files stored online should last indefinitely. That’s because your files will be stored offsite on many redundant drives, so your data is always alive and safe somewhere.
Selecting Your Online Data Backup And Storage
All of this brings us to how to select the right online data backup and storage service. There are many available some more expensive than others; some less. In fact, you can even find a few free online data storage services. So what should you look for?
One suggestion is that you put an emphasis on
- speed of the data transfer
- location of the facility where your data is stored
- the computer data storage software features
- The speed of transfer refers to how long it takes for your files to get to them, and for it to come back to you if you need it.
- The location of the facility affects this speed sometimes, and especially if it’s overseas in some not-very-advanced country, you risk the service going out of business.
- And of course, the features could be anything from how much room they allow you, the frequency of backups, etc.
Ideally you should select a service that allows you to schedule a backup automatically. Pay close attention to what promises are made to you in the contract and any forms you fill out. Make sure that you’re getting convenience and not a big headache.
Online data backup and storage is the wave of the future. As computers get lighter and more portable, you’ll need to rely more and more on services such as this to keep your data protected. Start now to find the right one.
There are a number of different issues that can occur which would make you happy that you went with one of the offsite data backup and recovery services that are now available. These range from the possibility of server crashes, and hard drive failures all the way down to accidental problems that could destroy your data very easily. Using one of these offsite data backup services is an excellent way for you to have peace of mind, knowing that all of your sensitive data is securely stored away from your computer. Here are some of the main benefits that you get out of using offsite data backup and recovery services.
Benefits Of Offsite Data Backup And Recovery Services
Did you realize that over 140,000 hard drives fail on an annual basis? At times, it may be possible for you to recover some of the data from these hard drives but this can be expensive and time-consuming. If your business depends on the data that is on your hard drive, you need to make sure that it is safe in a second location so that you are able to restore all of your information with ease. One of the best ways for you to do this is through one of the offsite data backup and recovery services that are now available and not only to use a internet network data backup.
- One thing that you want to make sure of before choosing an offsite data backup for business is that they are in compliance with anything that your business may need.
- If you handle clients regularly, they are going to expect that any time you transfer their files; you do it in a secure manner.
- Not only is this a professional way to do it, but it is, at times, going to be a legal requirement.
- A good example of this is if you are working in the medical profession and need to be compliant with regulations that govern the transfer of data.
This is going to be true, regardless of whether you are running a multi-location Corporation or if you’re simply running an office out of your home. As a matter of fact, it is often much easier for problems to occur in a small home office than it would be for them to occur in a corporate setting. Not only that, it is often much more convenient for one of these small offices to be able to back up their data using one of these remote services, simply because it can be scheduled regularly.
Before you choose one of the offsite data backup and recovery services, always make sure that they encrypt the data as it is being transferred. This may not be as important if your only backing up pictures or personal items, but it still is nice to know that it is available. Since there are many different offsite data backup services, it is a good idea for you to shop around and see what the various options are that they offer. In doing so, you’re sure to find something that will be perfect for your home or business needs.